Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving! Pie! Wild Rice! Judging books by their covers!

Well! This is what I've spent my afternoon doing. I'm gearing up to go to a step and sculpt class followed by spinning as a way to prefunk for tomorrow, when my primary exercise will be the fork-to-mouth motion my arm makes, while chiseling my mad jaw muscle-pumping skills. Yeah. You know what I'm talking about.

Last night I picked up Jane Harris's The Observations, the cover of which looks like this:
 Or like this:



I thought they were both so pretty that I'd post both of them! I have to admit it to you now:

I judge books by their covers.

A beautiful cover is more likely to be picked up by moi than a plain old boring cover. Remember the boring old Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime cover? It was.... red. Yaaaaawn. I like something pretty, like the above. And sometimes, if a book doesn't look interesting, but it has a glorious cover, I'll get it anyway. Because I'm a sucker. A sucker who likes to be aesthetically pleased and will thus hand over my dollars in order to be so. My prejudice does not work the other way around, though: if a book has an ugly cover but looks interesting based on the blurb, I'll still buy it. I'll just wish it were prettier.

Recently I've been trying to learn how to buy beat-up used copies of books if they're way cheaper than their new counterparts, but gahhhh it's hard- I keep my books nice and beautiful and clean (with the exception of my cookbooks, which I don't hesitate to spill on because it shows they've been loved).

How about you? Are you a cover judger? Are your cookbooks clean? Hmmmm?


Happy Thanksgiving!  

2 comments:

  1. Oh that pie! Looks great, what's in it?

    The book covers, I agree, they're both very nice, hope you'll enjoy the book. I DO judge books by their covers, absolutely.

    Oh, happy thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving to you! Belated, but still ;) That there is my mama's recipe for apple pie, which is in fact a very beat-up, cake-battered Betty Crocker from the early 60's recipe for apple pie :) and it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete